Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fat Bottom Grills: Fruit Kabobs with Angel Food Cake

“Grilling means good times, good friends, and hopefully, great food.” - Bobby Flay 


If fruit is the candy of the gods is it considered blasphemy to light it on fire? What about angel food cake, is that out of the question too?... Well call me a sinner and drag me down with Big Red, because this recipe makes me think I have died and gone to heaven every time I make it! These smokey, tender, juicy bits of magic are perfect for those hot summer days and add some grilled angel food cake into the mix and you've got yourself a little batch of heaven on a plate!... Enjoy! 


Ingredients: 


Skewers ( Soaked in water ) 
Strawberries ( washed with stems removed ) 
Pineapple ( Cubed ) 
Nectarines ( washed and wedged ) 
blueberries ( washed ) 
Mango ( cubed ) 
 Angel food cake cut into thick slices ( approximately 1 - 2 inches thick ) 


Prepare your grill ( I recommend charcoal ). 

take your fruit and place it onto the skewers like so... 


When I prepared these I had made chili lime skewers on the grill before hand ( ill post that recipe soon! ) make sure you clean your grill and don't be too surprised if some of your blueberries fall off! 

If you do not like some of the selected fruit try your own! Any stone fruit such as peaches, apricots, etc. will always go great! avoid fruits like raspberries, black berries, etc. as they are very tender and will not likely hold together on the skewer once you add fire into the mix. 

once your fruit has some nice grill marks take it off the heat and add your angel food cake! Caution, it may stick! I used Weber's grill spray on my grate before I started cooking. If angel food cake is not your thing you can try it with a pound cake as well ( Lemon blueberry pound cake would be fun! ) 

You are only looking to toast your cake and get some nice grill marks on it. Don't leave your cake! It does not take long for it to heat up. 

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! 


Do you have a favorite heavenly dish? Tell us about it in the comment section! 

No comments:

Post a Comment