Thursday, May 3, 2012

Delicious Sweet Potato & Sausage Chili




"Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili." - Harry James


I have recently become fascinated with sweet potatoes. As a child I must say I was not a fan. Frequently I am reminded of that greasy, sugary, marshmallow topped, canned concoction sitting at every family dinner table during the thanksgiving season. To me, they were hardly anything to be thankful for. Years later, I discovered the amazing health benefits of sweet potatoes. I began experimenting and oh what a joyous experience it has been! The huge misconception I had for sweet potatoes inspired me to try them in more unconventional ways than  the usual dousing them in butter and topping them with sugar. It was one beautiful summer day in central oregon that I got a hankering for chili. When I offered to make this for my roommates they shivered at the idea. Sweet potato chili? There expressions compared something close to that of offering an old cowboy a tofu dog... not pleasant! I made it anyways, they may not like it I thought but who cares! To me the art of cooking is not the goal of satisfying the majority but of creating something that is unique, intriguing, inspiring even!  I love to prepare the unconventional, it thrills me like a roller coaster ride would to a 5 year old. With that said, here is my recipe for sweet potato and sausage chili. This chili is sweet, smoky, spicy, and most importantly delicious! ... Enjoy!


Ingredients: 


 1 small onion ( Diced )
 3-4 cloves of garlic ( Minced ) 
 1 large sweet potato ( Cubed ) 
 3 carrots into medallions ( Sliced into medallions )
 3 large roma tomatoes ( Diced )
 1 zuchinni ( Sliced ) 
 1 summer squash ( Sliced ) 
 Innards of 2 Bratwurst 
 1 Can of  Red Kidney Beans ( 2 if you like a lot of beans )
Spices
 1 cup low sodium chicken stock ( Optional ) 
Cheddar cheese for topping 
Minced Jalapeno for topping
Corn tortilla's for topping 


Pour about 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a large pot.
 Add onion, garlic, sweet potato, carrot, and sausage.
 Sautee until sausage is almost cooked. add tomato's, zuchinni, squash, and kidney beans. 
Add spices. I used chili powder, cumin, lime pepper, sea salt, chipotle, oregano, pork rub, a pinch of rubbed sage, and a dash of cinnamon.
 place lid on pot and let simmer for about an hour. If you prefer your chili a little more watery you can add some chicken stock but once you steam the veggies it will bring out a lot of their juices into the pot. 
Top with some sharp cheddar cheese, minced jalapeno, and serve with corn tortillas!


What is your favorite way to eat a sweet potato? Share with us in the comment section! 

No comments:

Post a Comment