Sunday, May 27, 2012

Turkey Veggie Enchiladas


“If God dwells inside us like some people say, I sure hope He likes enchiladas, because that's what He's getting” - Jack Handy 


In March I went to school for bar tending. I have been struggling to get my foot in the door of this trying industry. To gain some experience I threw an Enchilada/Margarita Party as a fundraiser to promote the Trevor Project. The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth. The Trevor Project holds a very special place in my heart as I am an equal rights supporter as well as a survivor of someone who has committed suicide. I am frequently reminded of this person as he is one of my many inspirations in many of the things I do. Cooking  was one of them. This person is my father, a health conscious, marathon running, wine loving, foodie. My father often inspires me to create dishes that are more health conscious. He encourages me to create recipes with more wholesome ingredients and less processed foods. As it is memorial weekend I would like to honor this recipe in memory of my dad, a great man who loved all, inspired many, and brightened the world with his presence. Even if it was only for a short time... Enjoy! 

Ingredients: 
1 zucchini ( chopped ) 
1 Summer Squash ( Chopped ) 
2 tomatoes ( Diced ) 
1 cup mushrooms
1 Jalapeno ( seeded, minced ) 
2 cups baby spinach leaves ( Fresh ) 
1 small onion ( minced ) 
4 cloves garlic ( Minced ) 
1 lb. Ground turkey. 
1 can kidney beans 
1 can black beans 
Corn tortillas 
1 lime ( Juiced ) 
1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese 
1 can red enchilada sauce
2 tbsp. Cilantro plus extra for garnish
2 tbsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Paprika
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
extra virgin olive oil for spraying casserole dish.


Sautee turkey, onion, and garlic until meat is cooked. Add lime juice, cilantro, spices, zuchinni, squash, tomato, jalapeno, mushrooms spinach, and beans. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mushroom is almost cooked. remove from heat. spoon mixture into corn tortillas. sprinkle insides with 1 tbsp. cheese. Roll tortillas and place in a lightly greased 9x13 glass casserole dish. once casserole dish is full with enchiladas pour enchilada sauce over top with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedge.




What kind of meals remind you of your loved ones? Share with us in the comment section! 


No comments:

Post a Comment